Apple & rhubarb clean cobbler is a sweet n’ tangy cobbler that satisfies your warm weather sweet tooth but packed with clean, nutritious ingredients. A true clean treat for everyone in the family to enjoy!
So remember last summer when I hit the jackpot on a clean cobbler recipe. I was so obsessed. Obviously, still am.
This past weekend the weather got warmer and I started to crave that in-season produce. So since rhubarb is in it’s glory, I decided it needed it’s own little dessert spotlight. I used almost the same crust recipe as my Berries n’ Peach Clean Cobbler but subbed the protein powder for ground flax (sticking to REAL FOOD protein) and added about a quarter more of all ingredients.
Rhubarb is a sneaky little vegetable. Yes, it’s actually considered a vegetable. Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances so do not eat the leaves and always cook the stalks, i.e. do not eat the stalks raw. So this isn’t one vegetable you want to just stick through your juicer! You definitely need to practice your patience while cooking with it but it’s SO worth it.
Rhubarb Pie is probably up there as my top favorite pies… nothing can replace my grandmother’s homemade blueberry pie though. The tangy flavor of the rhubarb pairs so well with sweet fruits.
Typically, rhubarbs best dessert friend is the strawberry but I decided to change things up a bit and add in apple.
The sutle sweetness of the apple and tangy flavor of the rhubarb makes this a delectable rustic dessert.
Apple & Rhubarb Clean Cobbler
Apple & rhubarb clean cobbler is a sweet n’ tangy cobbler that satisfies your warm weather sweet tooth but packed with clean, nutritious ingredients.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the Fruit Filling
- 2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb stalks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
For the Cobbler Crust
- 1 1/2 cup freshly ground oat flour
- 1/2 cup raw oats
- 1 egg, 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. ground flax
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine the chopped rhubarb, chopped apples, lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Set to the side.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, raw oats, cinnamon and ground flax.
- In a glass measuring jar, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds to melt it.
- Add in the egg, egg whites and vanilla extract to the coconut oil.
- Whisk together.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the dry (flour) ingredients.
- Mix together.
- Spray a 9×9 in baking pan with organic, non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the rhubarb & apple mixture to the bottom of the dish and spread it evenly on the bottom.
- Grab clumps of the crust mixture and drop on the top of the fruit mixture.
- Do this until all of the crust mix is gone.
- Sprinkle the top with a little raw oats and drizzle with the honey.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until crust top is golden brown.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 45
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 31
Serve this warm, right outta the oven! And serve alongside your favorite frozen yogurt, ice cream or organic cool whip!