Kefir parfaits are a fun and delicious probiotic packed breakfast treat that provides you with the healthy gut you need to fuel your day.
I’ve been making my own fermented foods for awhile now and it wasn’t until I was chatting with some coworkers that I was introduced to homemade kefir. And to be honest, I was a bit intimidated. You mean I’m fermenting milk? Yes. Yes you are.
For people who struggle with dairy, like myself, kefir is a great alternative. The fermentation process actually breaks down the proteins in the milk making it easier to digest. Because of the fermentation process the kefir is packed full of probiotics and becomes a creamy consistency. Like a mix between yogurt and milk.
If homemade kefir intimidates you and is not you jam, no worries, there are plenty of organic and wholesome store-bought kefir brands.
Because of its consistency most people often question what to use kefir for. I like to use it:
- In smoothies with half almond milk, half kefir — it adds a thick n’ creamy consistency to the smoothie
- As a base for cereals
- Mixed with chia seeds — the chia seeds help thicken it making it similar to yogurt but with more probiotic benefits
And how could you not want to eat it when it’s in parfait form? It’s just like it’s begging, “Hey! I’m pretty! Come enjoy my deliciousness and added health benefits! I promise I’ll make you feel wonderful.” Okay maybe not JUST like that but you get the point.
Also I think the moment you add banana split ingredients to this it becomes like my favorite thing ever. I wouldn’t even mind some melted coconut oil mixed with cocoa powdered and drizzled on top of this for some chocolate syrup right about now. Yes please.Print
Banana Split Kefir Parfaits
A fun and delicious probiotic packed breakfast treat providing you with the healthy gut you need to fuel your day.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 2 cups kefir (can be homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 bananas (sliced)
- 1 cup organic strawberries (sliced)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp. shredded organic coconut
- Add the kefir and chia seeds to a small bowl and set aside for 20-25 minutes or until the chia seeds have expanded.
- In a glass, layer the kefir then top with some sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, then slivered almonds.
- Add another layer of kefir mix, sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and slivered almonds.
- Sprinkle some shredded coconut on the top.
- Serve or store in the fridge to enjoy at a later date.