This time of year I’m always looking for hearty, nutritious meals to enjoy on chilly evenings. Mashed cauliflower is the perfect base for an entree or as a side dish to replace regular potatoes. It’s especially great for those of you following a gluten-free and paleo lifestyle. I don’t follow those lifestyles, instead I just look for the easiest way to make a clean swap and choose more nutrient dense foods.
I like to enjoy my mashed cauliflower in a variety of ways:
- As a side-dish topped with plenty of shredded Parmesan
- As an entree topped with sauteed kale, turkey bacon, mushrooms and onions
- As a base for a thick, beef stew
- To top my Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- As a stuffing for a portabella cap pizza
There’s so many ways to get creative with mashed cauliflower! And making it is so easy it’s slightly embarrassing I rave about it so much. I did not invent it and I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of it on the blog-o-sphere. I just have my own way of whipping it up that takes no time at all!
- Chop the cauliflower off the stem and cut the florets in half
- Add the florets to a bowl with 1 tbsp. water
- Cover with press n’ seal
- Microwave for about 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until cauliflower is soft
- Drain off water
- Add cauliflower to blender or food processor
- For every 1 1/2 cup of chopped cauliflower you use add about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 tbsp. almond milk to the blender
- Blend the ingredients on low by pulsing every few seconds until everything is mixed up
- Scoop out and garnish with more shredded Parmesan and a pinch of black pepper and sea salt
You can store the mashed cauliflower in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for a few days. This makes meal prep on a weeknight MUCH faster!
Now get creative and tell me what you use your mashed cauliflower for!
OH AND— Thanks to KOR Water for sending me their new Nava portable filtration water bottle! The filter is made out of 100% pure coconut shells! I can’t wait to take this baby on my next hike to really test it out.
Have a great day! XOXO