… Yep. You read the title right now get your head out of the gutter!
I love nuts– almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts, you name it I eat it. I’m sure you all have heard by now all of the amazing health benefits of nuts and the healthy fat that comes along with them. But most of you probably consume nuts like I use to, raw or roasted.
I use to eat raw nuts like nobody’s business and although it was a healthy snack option, my stomach would always end up bloated, in a knot, gassy and making all kinds of noises. Living with IBS I already have trouble digesting certain foods but I never thought raw nuts could be a trigger.
Finally after years of living with this issue I began to read a few articles about the health benefits of soaking your nuts.
Initially my first reaction, like most, was gross… are they all slimy?!
But after giving soaked nuts a shot and realizing how much better I feel after eating them, I could never go back!
How to Soak Your Nuts:
- Fill a ball jar or glass container with nuts
- Fill with water
- Let the nuts soak over night
- The next day drain the water and dry the nuts with a paper towel
- Consume within 1-2 days
*You can also dehydrate your nuts after you soak them so they can last for a few weeks. I don’t have a dehydrator so I just do a few batches a week to keep them fresh.
Behind the Issue with Eating Raw Nuts:
Nuts contain phytic acid to naturally protect it’s exterior. When something that contains phytic acid is eaten, the acid binds to minerals like zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium, chromium, and manganese in the gastrointestinal tract, which inhibits our digestive systems’ ability to break the nut down properly. Hence why my stomach sounds like a its whaling when I eat them!
Benefits of Consuming Soaked Nuts:
- Soaking your nuts removes the phytic acid
- Removes and reduces tannins
- Your stomach can easily break down the nuts
- Your body reps the full nutritional benefits of the nuts– the proteins are more readily available for absorption
- Soaking nuts increases the amount of vitamins, especially B vitamins
- To help neutralize toxins in the colon and keep the colon clean